In the rapidly evolving world of Human Resources (HR), consulting businesses play a crucial role in helping organizations manage their most valuable assets – their people. But as the market becomes increasingly competitive, the question on every HR consultant’s mind is, “How do I grow my HR consulting business?” Drawing insights from proven strategies, this comprehensive guide offers actionable steps to expand your HR consulting firm, ensuring you stay ahead in the game.Continue reading
Understanding HR Consulting & HR Software SEO
Let’s look at how to get your HR business to show up on Google via SEO – Search Engine Optimization.
SEO for independent HR consulting firms and HR Tech companies involves optimizing their online presence to rank higher in search engine results. This matters because higher visibility in search results can lead to more business opportunities.
We’ll focus more on HR consulting firms but this guide also applies to HR software companies as well as other businesses within the broad HR field such as D&I, recruitment, L&D, and so on.
Remember, if you want to grow your HR-related business, check out the HR Business Accelerator.
How Does SEO Work for HR Consulting & HR Software Businesses?
The process involves understanding how search engines categorize and rank professional services like HR consulting. Instead of optimizing for product-based keywords, the focus is on industry-specific terms, services offered, and local SEO if the firm caters to a specific geographical area.
Key Areas of SEO for HR Consulting Firms & HR Software Companies
- On-Page SEO: This includes optimizing the website’s content, structure, and HTML source code. For HR firms, this could involve highlighting services like employee training, talent acquisition, compliance management, etc.
- Off-Page SEO: It’s about building the firm’s reputation and authority through backlinks, social media marketing, and online reviews. Participation in HR forums and publishing articles on HR trends can enhance credibility.
- Technical SEO: Ensures the website is well-structured, fast-loading, and easy to navigate, making it accessible to search engines and users alike.
In the most recent episode of A Better HR Business show, Ben spoke with Vessy Tasheva, CEO of Vessy.com, a global DEIB and Mental Health consultancy, about the concept of person-market fit and its impact on the evolution of an HR business.
Vessy Tasheva is a prominent figure in the field of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEI&B). As the founder of Vessy.com, her consultancy engages with clients worldwide, particularly focusing on fast-growing tech companies in FinTech, gaming, cybersecurity, and eCommerce, primarily those 2-4 years pre-IPO.
Vessy has garnered recognition for her impactful work, receiving accolades such as being featured in the Top 30 Diversity & Inclusion Leaders You Must Follow in 2022 by LeadersHum. In 2021, her company was listed in the Top 10 of Emerging Diversity & Inclusion Companies in Europe by Manage HR Magazine and she was personally recognized as one of the Top 50 D&I Influencers globally by Onalytica. Her influence extends to 2020, when she was named one of the UK’s most influential D&I leaders by Hive Learning, and 2019, recognized as one of the most influential D&I Leaders globally.
Beyond her professional endeavors, Vessy is an angel investor in digital health and mental health. She actively contributes to societal change as an Advisory Board Member of Deystvie, an organization dedicated to impacting the lives of LGBTI people in Bulgaria, and serves as a Diversity & Inclusion Board Member of Positive Luxury, working towards a sustainable future for the luxury industry.
In November 2022, Vessy launched a video course on Inclusive Leadership on the SocialTalent learning platform, achieving the remarkable feat of ranking #2 in the Most Watched courses with an impressive NPS of 87. Prior to her entrepreneurial venture, Vessy accumulated 11 years of experience, notably serving as the Chief Strategy Officer of a talent tech startup and holding various roles across product, marketing, and culture in companies ranging from 4 to 800 employees.
In this episode, Vessy shared her insights on the importance of aligning personal purpose with your business’s market fit. She discussed how her journey from launching the business to its evolution over the years centered on understanding the human element within the diversity, inclusion, and belonging space. Her exploration led her to focus on developing trust-driven inclusive leadership, self-trust, and interpersonal trust, eventually incorporating psychoanalytic principles to foster a healthier workplace environment.
Moreover, Vessy’s unconventional approaches to marketing and the expansion of her business were equally enlightening. From prioritizing community building, thought leadership, and producing detailed reports to venturing into complementary side projects and promising angel investment, Vessy exemplifies the significance of aligning personal strengths and passions with business strategies.
Vessy also shared valuable advice, emphasizing the importance of active listening and authentic conversations in tailoring your HR business to your market and personal strengths. They shed light on how to obtain genuine feedback without falling into the “mom test” trap and recognizing the crucial timing for innovation and adaptation within the constantly evolving landscape.Continue reading
There are two things you absolutely must do if you want to start and grow your own successful HR business . . .
(By ‘HR’ we mean Generalist HR, Recruitment, Learning & Development, Employment Law, Compensation & Benefits, Diversity & Inclusion, Employee Engagement, etc).
Obviously, to really understand what those two things are, we need to venture into the Australian outback . . .Continue reading
This is part of our new article series on how to get clients for consulting businesses in the Human Resources industry.Continue reading
The HR Business Accelerator is for people running their own businesses in the broad ‘HR’ field and for people who are getting ready to start their own HR business.
FYI: For us, the ‘HR’ includes Generalist HR, Recruitment, L & D, Employment Law, Comp & Benefits, D & I, Employee Engagement, etc.
We’ve helped hundreds of HR consultants and HR software companies around the world to grow successful businesses – the HR Business Accelerator will help you too.
To learn more, watch the summary video, or to join the HR Business Accelerator now, click the relevant link below . . .
GROW AN EXISTING BUSINESS: You already run your own HR solo or small business.
START A NEW BUSINESS: You are planning to start your own HR business.
HR TECH & MID-SIZED CONSULTANCIES: If you run an HR Tech company or a mid-sized consulting firm, check out this page.
Video: What Is The HR Business Accelerator and How It Can Help You Grow (or Start) Your HR Business?
To learn more or to join, click the appropriate link below . . .
GROW AN EXISTING BUSINESS: You already run your own HR solo or small business.
START A NEW BUSINESS: You are planning to start your own HR business.
HR TECH & MID-SIZED CONSULTANCIES: If you run an HR Tech company or a mid-sized consulting firm, please check the website menu above or visit this page to see our services designed for you.
I was delighted to be joined on the A Better HR Business show by Vanessa Judelman, President of Mosaic People Development. For over 20 years, Vanessa has been helping clients to develop leaders who inspire great results. She is a speaker, facilitator, talent management consultant, and certified coach.
Vanessa has been a consultant and has worked in-house as a business leader. By combining these experiences, she designs and delivers programs that are practical, customized, and can be applied on the job immediately.
Vanessa’s goal is to develop great leaders at all levels by:
- Coaching individual leaders to grow leaps and bounds in a short period of time.
- Training new managers to successfully transition into a leadership role.
- Providing senior leaders with the necessary tools to align their people with their business strategy.
- Organizational Development and Talent Management
- Executive Coaching
- Leadership Training
- Business facilitation
In a wide-ranging discussion, Vanessa and I talked about:
- How Mosaic People Development focuses on developing leaders by offering training and executive coaching.
- “Mastering Leadership” is an eight-module leadership program that takes leaders on a journey to help them evolve and build confidence.
- Vanessa’s clients are those who are seeking leadership coaching, executive coaching, and leadership development programs.
- Sharing learnings and advice from coaching work helps establish credibility and attract potential clients.
- And much more.
Thanks, Vanessa!Continue reading
As the competition in the human resources sector continues to grow, it becomes increasingly important for HR companies to develop and implement effective marketing strategies. With a multitude of options available, choosing the right marketing consultancy can be a daunting task. In this article, we’ll explore to how to choose from the best B2B marketing consultancies for HR companies and help you make an informed decision about which one is right for you.
The Importance of Marketing for HR Companies
Marketing is a crucial aspect of any business, and HR companies are no exception. An effective marketing strategy can help HR companies generate leads, build brand awareness, and ultimately increase revenue. With the right marketing approach, HR companies can position themselves as industry leaders, attract new clients, and retain existing ones.
What To Look For In A B2B Marketing Consultancy For Your HR Company
Choosing the right marketing consultancy is essential to the success of your marketing efforts.
When selecting a marketing consultancy, there are a few key factors to consider:
- Experience: Look for a marketing consultancy with experience in the HR industry. They should have a proven track record of success and a deep understanding of the unique challenges facing HR companies.
- Strategic approach: A good marketing consultancy will take a strategic approach to your HR business marketing efforts. They should develop a customized marketing plan tailored to your specific needs and goals.
- Communication: Communication is key when working with a marketing consultancy. Look for a consultancy that is responsive, transparent, and easy to work with.
- Results: Ultimately, the success of a marketing consultancy should be measured by the results they deliver. Look for a consultancy that has a proven track record of delivering measurable results for its clients.
Podcast: Marketing Options For HR Companies
Best B2B Marketing Consultancies For HR Companies – Get More HR Clients
If you are looking for the best B2B marketing consultancies for HR companies like yours, do check us out.
Get More HR Clients is a B2B marketing consultancy focused exclusively on the HR industry.
Led by Ben Geoghegan (host of the HR podcast, A Better HR Business) we offer a range of HR marketing services, including lead generation, content marketing, and branding to help you attract new clients and position your company as a leader in the industry.
Our HR Business Accelerator marketing consultancy service is designed specifically to help HR consultancies and HR Tech companies in North America and Europe achieve positive outcomes without having to deal with the usual challenges that come with marketing challenges.
The service is aimed at leaders of HR companies who want to grow their businesses, improve their revenue, and make sales calls easier. By utilizing our expertise in HR markets, our deep dive approach, and our industry knowledge sharing, we help our clients solve their marketing challenges and achieve the growth they desire.
Here are some of the benefits that our service can bring to your business:
- More reliably hitting business performance targets: By utilizing our deep dive approach, we help identify the root cause of your marketing challenges and create a customized plan to address them. This allows you to hit your business performance targets and achieve your desired results.
- More work for staff: As your business grows, you’ll need more staff to handle the increased workload. Our service can help you bring in more clients and customers, which in turn creates more work for your staff.
- Better cash flow: A steady stream of new clients and customers can help improve your cash flow and give you more financial stability. Our service can help you achieve this by providing a reliable source of new business.
- Higher quality of client projects: By attracting the right clients and customers, you can improve the quality of your projects and increase your reputation in the industry. Our service can help you attract the type of clients and customers that will allow you to take on higher-quality projects.
- Better clients: By utilizing our HR market expertise, we can help you attract the type of clients and customers that are the best fit for your business. This means you’ll be working with clients that you enjoy and that are the right fit for your business.
Our service includes several components designed to help you achieve the positive outcomes you desire. These include:
- Deep Dive: Our deep-dive approach allows us to identify the root cause of your marketing challenges and create a customized plan to address them.
- Playbooks: We provide you with a customized playbook that outlines the steps you need to take to achieve your desired outcomes.
- HR market expertise: Our team has a deep understanding of HR markets, which allows us to provide you with the expertise you need to succeed in this industry.
- Sharing of industry knowledge: We stay up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices in the HR industry, and we share this knowledge with our clients to help them stay ahead of the curve.
By utilizing these components, we can provide a comprehensive solution to your marketing challenges. And because we specialize in HR consultancies and HR Tech companies, we can provide a more effective solution than other types of marketing consultancies and freelancers.
Here are five reasons why our HR marketing service for HR companies is more effective for our ideal client types in North America and Europe to resolve their marketing/business growth-related problems than other types of marketing consultancies and freelancers:
- We specialize in HR consultancies and HR Tech companies: Because we focus exclusively on these types of businesses, we have a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities that come with marketing in this industry.
- We have a deep understanding of HR markets: Our team has a wealth of experience in HR markets, which allows us to provide you with the expertise you need to succeed in this industry.
- We provide a comprehensive solution: Our deep dive approach, playbooks, HR market expertise, and sharing of industry knowledge provide a comprehensive solution to your marketing challenges.
- We are cost-effective: Because we specialize in HR consultancies and HR Tech companies, we can provide a more cost-effective solution than other types of marketing consultancies and freelancers.
- We are faster: Because we have a deep understanding of HR markets and the challenges faced by HR consultancies and HR Tech companies, we can provide a faster and more efficient solution to your marketing challenges. We don’t waste time on strategies that don’t work, and we focus on the ones that will deliver the most value to your business.
Summary – Best Marketing Consultancy For HR Companies
In summary, if you’re a leader of an HR consultancy or HR Tech company in North America or Europe, and you’re looking to grow your business, improve your revenue, and make sales calls easier, then HR Business Accelerator is the solution you’ve been searching for.
By utilizing our deep dive approach, playbooks, HR market expertise, and sharing of industry knowledge, we can help you achieve the positive outcomes you desire without having to deal with the negative aspects that come with marketing challenges.
To learn more about how we can help you resolve your marketing/business growth-related problems, request more information or book a quick call with us today.
We look forward to helping you achieve your business goals.
I had a conversation recently with a client of mine and told her about how, many years ago, when I started out in business, I charged $150 per hour for HR consulting services.
Some of my very first consulting gigs were for 3 or so hours of work.
3 x $150 = $450.
Problem was, I had to factor in travel time to get to and from the client’s office.
Plus, before a client site visit, you’re not really working on anything else. You’re preparing mentally and getting documents ready.
So, really, my 3-hour consulting gigs were close to a full day but for only 3 billable hours.
Last week, I had a Zoom meeting with a larger client of mine.
They have just closed a 6-figure HR consulting deal (not hourly billing).
They also have the potential to turn that into a 7-figure deal (yes, that’s more than 1 million dollars) if they do a good job which I know they will because I’m lucky enough to only work with good HR companies that always deliver.
The money’s good but the cool thing is that the consulting work is exciting too.
So, as you can tell, I’m not a big fan of hourly billing.
You’re probably not a fan of it either, I know, and you’re probably using retainers and/or project rates.
However, what is a good rate for your services and how high can you go?
“How much should we charge for HR consulting services?”Continue reading
Ruben is also the host and “Chief Nerd” of the Sales for Nerds podcast.
Reuben considers himself “a software engineer by training, a consultant by background (helping firms from startups to Global 100 firms sell more profitably), and a sales rep by necessity.”
Reuben has blended his expertise in computer science with his past experience as a sales and marketing consultant for Fortune 500 companies, along with his dissatisfaction with conventional sales tools. His objective is to assist other consultants in avoiding the difficulties he faced when trying to let go of misleading beliefs about sales and marketing.
Mimiran helps companies sell faster and more profitably by streamlining the sales process, converting more visitors into leads, more leads into conversations, and more conversations into e-signed proposals.
In a wide-ranging discussion, Reuben and I talked about:
- What is Mimiran and how it can help you develop your business?
- How Mimiran is making the experience of getting to the lead magnet easier than other CRM tools.
- Mimiran helps businesses have more conversations with new leads and existing contacts.
- How to automate proposals and track referrals using Mimiran.
- Mimiran is available on any device.
- And much more.
Thanks, Reuben!Continue reading
I want to explore a thought-provoking question that has been on my mind. This question can help you reflect on your HR-related business and identify areas for improvement.
The question is . . .
If you sold your business, what would a new owner change about the business to make it more successful?
I was inspired to ask this question after observing a transformation in a corner store near my home. The store used to be a dusty, run-of-the-mill establishment that sold basic necessities like newspapers, milk, and bread.
However, after being purchased by new owners, the store underwent a complete makeover.
The new owners introduced a fresh design, new decor, and updated branding, including new logos. They also expanded the product line to include hot sandwiches, premium items, Italian wines, cheeses, and a high-quality coffee machine. The store became a bustling hub of activity, creating jobs and community involvement.
Every time I drive by the store, I wonder what the previous owner would think of it now.
So, if you were to sell your HR business, what changes would a new owner implement to make it more successful?
- Would they remove products and services?
- Would the new owners change the structure of the products and services?
- Would they increase the prices?
- Would they decrease prices?
- Would they add staff?
- Would they remove staff?
- Would they move to an outsourced model?
- Would they move to an in-source model?
- Would they look to break it up into smaller pieces and sell it off?
- Would they look to change their focus to a particular industry or a market segment?
- Would they focus on consulting projects or would they focus on recurring revenue or would they focus on product sales or training?
- Would they try and get the entry-level product and then make more money on the back-end sales?
- Would they try to look at creating more partnerships with other companies in the industry?
- Would they be looking at creating more thought leadership to raise the profile of the business?
- Would they look to add technology or marketing tools to improve the flow and the process and the management of the business?
- Would they add more paid advertising and promotion?
- Would they productize or systemize your business with a view to reducing their involvement in the running of the business?
- Would they try and get the systems in place for the business with a view to selling it quickly?
Stepping back and examining your business from an outsider’s perspective can be extremely helpful.
Try imagining what changes a new owner would make if they took over your HR business.
You might be surprised to discover that there are simple, low-cost ways to add value and improve the overall success of your business.
Take some time to reflect on this question and if you need help, please do get in touch!
All the best,
I was delighted to be joined on the A Better HR Business show by Brenda Laughlin and Brian Turk, Co-Founders of Enavrio, a global HR Transformation and Technology consulting network, independent HR Tech consultant collective, and solution marketplace —a space for all HR Technology Experts.
Enavrio was founded by Brenda Laughlin and Brian Turk—leaders with extensive histories working in HR, HR technology, and consulting services—based on a desire to consolidate, align, and leverage the best of what the HR tech industry has to offer.
After running their own separate boutique HR tech consulting practices, Brenda and Brian began discussing how they could better serve the industry.
They decided that competing with other players in an existing area wasn’t what the industry needed most, and decided instead to support the existing players on all sides by creating frameworks and mechanisms for bringing them together, supercharging their execution, and optimizing how they collectively deliver for their customers: organizations and the people who work for them.Continue reading
Pam is a strategic and innovative HR Leader who translates business vision into HR initiatives that improve performance, profitability, growth, and employee engagement. She is passionate about implementing HR initiatives to help businesses reduce labor costs.
Using research and data-based solutions, People Relations helps SMEs and Tech Startups identify the risks and provides HR solutions that are focused on improving their bottom line.
In a wide-ranging discussion, Pams and I talked about:
- Pam’s background and experience in various business sectors.
- The typical problems that SMEs and startups face when expanding.
- How People Relations helps companies improve performance, profitability, growth, and employee engagement.
- Pam’s advice for startups and small businesses when competing against the big players for talent.
- The free resources provided by Pam on her website.
- And much more.
I was delighted to be joined on the A Better HR Business show by Sarah Olivieri, Founder of PivotGround, a consultancy company that helps human-service nonprofits increase capacity, deliver better programming and attract more funding.
Sarah is a nonprofit business strategist, #1 International Best Selling author, and former Executive Director. She has spoken at over a dozen conferences and online trainings and has been a featured expert on more than 50 podcasts. Sarah is the creator of the Impact Method™ – a framework that helps nonprofits simplify their operations, build aligned teams, and make a bigger impact without getting overwhelmed or burning out.
PivotGround helps nonprofits make a bigger impact using simple frameworks paired with targeted coaching to help organizations thrive.
In a wide-ranging discussion, Sarah and I talked about:
- How the PivotGround story began and what inspired Sarah in choosing its name.
- The challenges of nonprofits and how PivotGround addresses them.
- Impact Method™ – a framework that helps nonprofits simplify their operations and make a bigger impact.
- Sarah’s advice on growing and marketing your own business.
- The strategy behind creating the right offer
- And much more!
Every week I receive at least one email from a podcast listener or newsletter reader where the person asks me this question:
“Ben, how do we get more clients/customers for our HR business?“
However, there’s a problem . . .
If you want better outcomes, you need to dive deeper and ask better questions.
In this solo episode of the A Better HR Business podcast I’m going to walk you through some of the typical questions I work through with our HR business marketing clients as we build out and scale up their marketing plans.
Such questions include:
- How well is our business positioned?
- What are our offers and how good are they?
- What are we doing to convert website visitors into sales leads?
- What are we doing to nurture our sales leads?
- What unpaid marketing channels are we using and how are they performing?
- What paid marketing channels are we using and how are they performing?
- What are we doing to improve our conversion rates?
- How do we scale up?
- And more…
Have a listen now!Continue reading