Originally from London, Emma moved to Wales to attend law school at Cardiff University in 1993 before qualifying as a solicitor in 1998, specialising in employment law. She also holds a Master’s degree in employment law.
With over 20 years’ experience in employment law and HR, Emma established Effective HRM in 2011 with a mission of becoming the UK’s most cost-effective, personable and valuable HR service. 10 years on, she still feels passionately about her vision of creating a nation full of positive, proactive and empowered employers.
Straight talking, pragmatic and a great team player, Emma focusses on delivering expert legal advice, combined with the preventative good practice of HR management and commercial realism. She’s particularly talented at getting to grips with complex issues quickly and resolving problems with a collaborative and solution focussed approach.
In a wide-ranging discussion, Emma and I talked about:
- [00:01:38] – Emma’s background.
- [00:02:26] – Why did Emma start Effective HRM all those (10) years ago?
- [00:05:14] – The book that changed the game for Emma.
- [00:08:43] – A brilliant way for any consultant to get started (with thanks to Emma’s former employer)
- [00:11:57] – Celebrating 10 years in business & the types of clients.
- [00:13:41] – Emma’s mission to make herself redundant at every stage.
- [00:16:35] – What is Emma’s role as Managing Director?
- [00:17:52] – Effect HRM buys another consultancy.
- [00:19:37] – Effective HRM’s different products & service offerings.
- [00:21:47] – The classic staff handbook service.
- [00:23:18] – Additional service offerings after an employee handbook.
- [00:24:05] – Going remote for HR consulting services.
- [00:25:21] – The importance of retainer clients.
- [00:26:29] – With this, you don’t have a business to sell.
- [00:27:30] – Want to sell your HR consultancy? (NOTE: Emma is looking for more HR businesses to buy).
- [00:27:39] – Structuring retainers and agreements (including a possible difference between men and women).
- [00:30:11] – Emma’s advice on acquiring new clients and growing a successful HR business.
- [00:32:12] – What does the future hold for HR and the world of work?
- [00:33:17] – HR should aim for a seat on the Board
- [00:34:03] – Looking back, the advice Emma would give herself when first starting her business.
- And much more.
- John Warrilow – Built To Sell
- Michael Gerber – The E-Myth