Rachel Barker recently stepped-up her HR consulting business to the next level and I really love the way she’s gone about it.
Rachel helps leaders in the performing arts to successfully manage their people and create better organisations.
During the course of our discussion, I asked Rachel:
- Tell us a little about your background and led you to launch your own consulting business? How did it feel?
- What consulting kind of consulting services do you provide and to whom?
- Most people who are employed in some sort of HR-related role, when they decide to start their own consultancy they go very broad and very generic. I love the fact that you’ve decided to focus on a particular niche. Why did you choose a narrow area and was it a big or scary decision?
- What’s your advice to other consultants who are trying to find their niche or focus point?
- What are your plans for getting new clients?
- What do you see coming down the road for HR and the world of work and how should listeners get prepared for these changes?
The coronavirus has put huge pressure on businesses in the Human Resources industry such as recruitment firms, employee engagement firms, and others.
Today I’m sharing an extensive list of 45 ideas to help make your HR consulting business more profitable.
Thanks to all the successful consultants from the HR industry who have shared their many excellent ideas, suggestions, and pieces of practical advice.
How To Run A Profitable Consultancy In The HR Industry [4 Categories]
To keep things organised, the profitable HR consultancy tips are divided into four broad categories:
- Financial Management
- Sales & Marketing
- Service Delivery
- Your People
Vern Howard is the CEO and Co-Founder of the very impressive digital recruitment events platform, Hallo.
Hallo is a diversity recruiting platform that helps connect college students across the country with leading companies like Apple and Google.
The company has raised $1.9m in funding from Canaan Partners, Tribe Capital, Kleiner Perkins, and many other leading VCs.
As they say themselves, Hallo helps your company engage with the next generation of talent while learning valuable data-driven insights about your brand.
Let’s find out how.
Indigenous Employment Partners is an Aboriginal-operated social enterprise in Australia with a mission to provide culturally appropriate employment, recruitment, and training services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and the organisations that employ them.
Jillian West (CEO) and Maria Dugan (Employment Consultant) from Indigenous Employment Partners kindly joined me on the A Better HR Business to talk about their mission and what they’re doing to help boost the utilisation of the skills and talents brought by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia.
Due to covid restrictions, we were all in different places on some fairly dodgy wifi at times so please excuse any strange vocals you may hear!
Kelly Tucker is the Founder and Managing Director of the highly successful UK Human Resources consulting firm, HR Star.
HR Star recently launched its new HR Star Membership programme. The membership provides employers with access to a bank of resources and tools to manage their people effectively.
Kelly kindly joined me on the A Better HR Business podcast to talk about:
One Circle is a platform of freelance HR consultants providing Human Resource consulting services, digitally, sharing thought leadership and solutions.
Completely virtual, One Circle allows companies to engage with and hire freelance HR consultants online, on-demand, from around the world and across the employee lifecycle, all in one place.
The Co-Founder of One Circle, Emma El-Karout, joined me on the podcast to talk about this new HR consulting work platform.
During our chat, we talked about:
Looking for your ideal HR marketing plan and marketing tactics to get more clients in the Human Resources industry?
Check out HR Consultant Bootcamp
In this in-depth post, we’ll be walking through a simple four-step framework to develop your optimal marketing strategy plan to get new leads or sales coming into your email box every day:
- Use Market Segmentation To Become Super Attractive To Your Target Market
- Create An HR Content Marketing Funnel To Attract Business Clients
- The Right Marketing Mix For Your HR Business
- Create An Easy Marketing Process To Improve Your Marketing Over Time
Do you get paid for your knowledge and expertise? If so, it might be worthwhile creating your own online course.
In this discussion, online course creation coach, Johnny Beirne, explains exactly how to turn your expertise into an online product which can be sold 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Want more? Johnny will be speaking at the HR Consultants’ Online Conference.
In this article, I’m kindly joined by Harriet Lavender, Co-Founder of Trapeze HR, to talk about growing a successful consultancy in the Human Resources industry.
Read on for our discussion on:
- What Trapeze HR does and how it helps clients.
- How Trapeze HR got its first few clients and the business’ main marketing channels for getting new clients now.
- HR changes and challenges Harriet sees coming down the line and her advice to HR professionals and employers on how to face these challenges.
- Harriet’s advice on how to grow an HR business.
Benjamin Dell is a fascinating guy. A serial entrepreneur, he has founded a number of very successful software businesses that can help HR companies grow faster.
As I discovered at the recent SaaStock tech conference, Benjamin’s business card says he is the founder and CEO at Missinglettr (a social marketing automation company that automatically creates 12 months’ worth of social content for each blog post you publish) but he has plenty more on the go.
Benjamin and I chatted over coffee about his team’s new venture: Onboardflow. Someone signed up for a trial. Now what? OnboardFlow helps you make sense of your trials so that you can convert more of them.
We also chatted about:
- HeySummit which lets you run pain-free online summits. It’s an excellent platform with an amazing team.
- HelpShelf which combines all of your support resources into one gorgeous widget and then makes sure that it’s available when it matters the most.
- Missinglettr which creates strategic, automated social media campaigns that drive traffic for an entire year. Leaving you to focus on what’s really important.
On the business growth side . . .
- Benjamin shared his advice for other HR tech companies that want to develop either new product functions and or grow faster or grow more extensively.
- We discussed how to engage customers in product development and as advocates.
- And more.
Based in Wroclaw & Krakow in Poland, OpsTalent is a very successful outsourcing or ‘nearshoring’ company that delivers software development & multi-lingual customer support services for some of the world’s most innovative companies.
I spoke with Ken Coyne, Head of Technology at OpsTalent about how the business began (love was involved), how it has grown, and how the company partners with other HR companies and HR consultants.
LinkedIn is the place to be if you want to find new B2B clients but advertising there can be quite challenging. Today I discuss LinkedIn advertising for HR companies with AJ Wilcox, founder and CEO of B2Linked, a LinkedIn advertising agency based in the United States.
One Circle is an online platform for HR consultants that connects companies with freelance HR experts, on-demand and across the world.
In this article, I’m kindly joined by One Circle’s founder, Emma El-Karout.
Read on for our discussion on:
- Emma’s background and her motivation to start the One Circle platform for HR consultants.
- What does One Circle do? Which problem does it address and how it is differentiated from other competitors in the space?
- Who is the typical OneCircle HR consultant? Where they are from and how do they help clients?
- Tips on interesting people that HR businesses should check out to grow faster.
- The biggest challenges facing the HR profession.
I talked B2B sales and the impressive DisruptHR conference with Dublin-based, business-growth expert, Derek Howard.
If you are looking to expand your business, you should listen in.
Derek is CEO of The Customer a company that helps companies to grow their business and develop their people.
Derek walked me through an overview of the typical sales cycle and gave practical tips for each stage – definitely have your pen and paper ready.
Furthermore, Derek is one of the co-founders and organisers of the Ireland division of the global DisruptHR seminar series.
Ever since I started my HR business marketing blog, and particularly since I started my podcast for HR companies, I’ve been contacted by many full-time employees asking me how to get an HR side job as a Human Resources professional.
In my time, I have done the various HR side hustles myself and helped others set up their side HR projects.
I’ll show you ten HR side jobs and HR side gig ideas further down in this article.