Download The Summary Checklist (PDF)
To download the quick summary guide, click here.
Start Your HR Business Online Course
Check out my online course: Start Your Own HR Consulting Business [Online Course]
Comprehensive Guide Article
Listen to: A Better HR Business – podcast
Resources To Bring In Cash While You Start Your New HR Consulting Business
Here are some ways to bring in extra money while you get your new consultancy off the ground:
- Consulting (after hours, on days-off, or by phone/email). You could register yourself on consulting project platforms such as Clarity FM, Expert360, PWC’s Talent Exchange, One Circle HR, and more.
- Get a remote job/flex job after hours. See FlexJobs. Angel Co, and the usual job vacancies websites.
- Create information products such as templates, How To guides, Ebooks, and so on.
- Write a book. There are plenty of examples of HR professionals who have written books to either demonstrate their thought leadership, to generate client work, to produce revenue, or combinations of these. Alan Collins and Ben Whitter are good examples to follow.
- Provide training or coaching. Again this can be after hours, on days-off, or by phone/email.
- Start an industry blog to build up contacts, develop future sales content, sell advertising space, or build up your mailing list for when you launch. This blog runs on WordPress and I normally recommend you buy a website domain name and use WordPress if you plan to run an HR business in the future but you can also make a new blog or website using Wix (these are referral links but I use both services for clients and am happy to recommend both).
- Start an email newsletter for sponsorship or to get clients. I used to use Mailchimp but switched to Mailerlite which has a free plan but the paid plan is very cheap and has a lot of powerful features which are worth the small investment. If you ever plan to start an HR business, you should start your mailing list right now. Seriously.
- Lecture in HR-related topics after hours at colleges and universities. It’s an excellent way to crystallize your ideas whilst also generating a little extra revenue.
- Develop and sell online training courses. This is an area that will continue to grow strongly over the next few years.
- Write HR-related content for websites. Check the remote work sites I listed above or look at People Per Hour and ProBlogger.
Let me know what you have planned and how it goes!
All the best,