Originally from London, Emma moved to Wales to attend law school at Cardiff University in 1993 before qualifying as a solicitor in 1998, specialising in employment law. She also holds a Master’s degree in employment law.
With over 20 years’ experience in employment law and HR, Emma established Effective HRM in 2011 with a mission of becoming the UK’s most cost-effective, personable and valuable HR service. 10 years on, she still feels passionately about her vision of creating a nation full of positive, proactive and empowered employers.
Straight talking, pragmatic and a great team player, Emma focusses on delivering expert legal advice, combined with the preventative good practice of HR management and commercial realism. She’s particularly talented at getting to grips with complex issues quickly and resolving problems with a collaborative and solution focussed approach.
In a wide-ranging discussion, Emma and I talked about:
- [00:01:38] – Emma’s background.
- [00:02:26] – Why did Emma start Effective HRM all those (10) years ago?
- [00:05:14] – The book that changed the game for Emma.
- [00:08:43] – A brilliant way for any consultant to get started (with thanks to Emma’s former employer)
- [00:11:57] – Celebrating 10 years in business & the types of clients.
- [00:13:41] – Emma’s mission to make herself redundant at every stage.
- [00:16:35] – What is Emma’s role as Managing Director?
- [00:17:52] – Effect HRM buys another consultancy.
- [00:19:37] – Effective HRM’s different products & service offerings.
- [00:21:47] – The classic staff handbook service.
- [00:23:18] – Additional service offerings after an employee handbook.
- [00:24:05] – Going remote for HR consulting services.
- [00:25:21] – The importance of retainer clients.
- [00:26:29] – With this, you don’t have a business to sell.
- [00:27:30] – Want to sell your HR consultancy? (NOTE: Emma is looking for more HR businesses to buy).
- [00:27:39] – Structuring retainers and agreements (including a possible difference between men and women).
- [00:30:11] – Emma’s advice on acquiring new clients and growing a successful HR business.
- [00:32:12] – What does the future hold for HR and the world of work?
- [00:33:17] – HR should aim for a seat on the Board
- [00:34:03] – Looking back, the advice Emma would give herself when first starting her business.
- And much more.
- John Warrilow – Built To Sell
- Michael Gerber – The E-Myth
Connect with Emma
Want Some Help?
If you want some help getting more clients, check out my thought leadership, inbound marketing, and business growth services for companies in the HR sector.
Get Your HR Industry Business Growth Newsletter & Resources
Before we get on the podcast interview, are you receiving my free resources and business growth briefings?
Free Business Growth Presentation
Looking for more ideas to help you grow your recruitment or HR-related business?
Here’s something that might help . . .
Check out my free presentation (no signup required) on 10 clever ways that successful consultancies are bringing in more business.
Ok, over to Emma (thanks Emma!) . . .
Emma del Torto On Growing A Successful HR Consultancy
About The ‘A Better HR Business’ Podcast
In my HR marketing podcast, I talk with different HR consultants and HR tech companies from around the world to learn about what they do and how they keep their businesses healthy and moving in the right direction.
If you have questions you want me to ask me about growing an HR consultancy or marketing for HR tech companies, just let me know or visit the HR marketing services page.
Remember to subscribe to our mailing list to get notified of new episodes.
Enjoy the show!